[K12OSN] file permissions for different groups?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu May 18 20:38:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 15:09, Krsnendu Dasa wrote:
> I have a directory with files inside.
> I want staff to be able to view it but not write.
> I want admin group to be able to read or write.
> Noone else should be able to access it.
>
> How do I do that?

Move it under another directory owned by a group containing
all the members of the staff and admin groups and a mode
that gives rx permission only to group, none to other.  Then
the existing directory can be group admin, rwx for group,
rx for other and the files group admin, rw group, r other
(other in this case being limited to the set that can get past
that upper directory).

> Also I have a WinXP user who copies files to our samba server. Every
> time he copies something it is rw only for owner not group. How do I set
> it up so that when he copies files it is always rw for admin group?

Samba has it's own settings.  In the share definition in
/etc/samba/smb.conf you can
force group = admin
force create mode = 0775
force directory mode = 0775