[K12OSN] Way OT: Track all web activity on my network with logging and reports

Mike Ely mely at rogueriver.k12.or.us
Thu May 18 20:41:45 UTC 2006

Squid can be configured to force auth against things like LDAP - it's no
longer transparent, but each user has to have a login in order to go out
to the internet.  Depending on how your proxy is set up, you can get a
fair amount of detail from the logs.  I wouldn't recommend trying to
segregate caches per user - the logs of who was authenticated and went
where will likely be enough for the evidence folks, and trying to cache
all that will be a storage and performance nightmare.

One decent machine can handle 1400 nodes without any trouble - iptables
is very, very efficient - your bottlenecks will be generating logs and
rendering them into something useful.  I'm using a SunFire x2100 for 500
nodes, running ipcop with extremely high logging detail as well as ntop,
urlfilter (similar to dansguardian, based upon squidguard), VPN etc etc,
and the output from the 'uptime' command on the machine at the time of
this writing is:
13:38:21 up 25 days, 15:48,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.09, 0.12

As you can see, it's not even breaking a sweat.  This uptime includes
lots of state-mandated online testing and students doing stuff like
downloading music (until I spotted them), so it's been passing plenty of
traffic.

You could probably get by with such a machine, which costs about a grand
when well-configured, or go with something similar or slightly beefier.

Good luck finding time to respond to all those log requests...

Mike