[K12OSN] Outdoor Thin Client (and possibly wireless)

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Thu May 18 21:50:06 UTC 2006

On Tue, 16 May 2006 21:21:41 -0700
Carl Keil <carl at snarlnet.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> 2 Possibly related questions.
>
> Preamble:  The reason I installed a K12ltsp server in my house was so
> that when the time came I could plop a $0-$50 computer anywhere in the
>
> house and have a decent workstation.  My kids use the one in the
> living  room and I use it and the one in the kitchen to play music via
> mp3's.  I  also use the clients to surf the web and check email, etc.
> I am  planning on deploying thin clients in the kids' rooms when they
> ask for  them.

I have done the same thing in my home. (but with LTSP and Debian -
started with K12LTSP when I first did it in the classroom). Have 3
computers that act as clients for the kids and wife, and then my machine
is also the server.  The best part, the clients are all "throw aways"
from friends and families.  Anyway...

Someone mentioned MythTV ... My suggestion would be GeexBoX.  GeexBoX
has a lower software need. and since it can boot from the CD, will be
able to use some wireless cards.

Check the site and get a wireless card that will work.  Then you might
have to change the ISO
some.  Then you can set up your outdoor computer, and leave the CD in
the machine.  When you turn on the machine, it will boot off the CD,
then with a keyboard or a remote you can navigate the menu and play
music, video, picture slide shows, etc.  Any media you might want.

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org