[K12OSN] tight vnc connection to ltsp client refused (111 error)

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Sat May 20 16:22:24 UTC 2006

On 5/19/06, Eric Harrison <eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us> wrote:
> I managed to build a working binary. Still much work to do in order to
> package it up & provide patches for Jim & the LTSP crew.
>
> But for those of you who want to test it out, here is the
> quick-and-dirty instructions:

> 4.  Optional: Step 4 is only required to enable the experimental support
>         to Monitor and Control.
>
>         Edit the file /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf
>         Fine the line X4_MODULE_01=glx and change it to:
>
>         X4_MODULE_01 = vnc
>
>         Then edit the file /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/build_x4_cfg
>         and add the following between (Secton "Screen") and
>         (EndSubSection), so it looks
>         like this:
>
>      Section "Screen"
>           Identifier "Screen0"
>           Device "My Video Card"
>           Monitor "My Monitor"
>           DefaultDepth  ${X_COLOR_DEPTH:-16}
>           Subsection "Display"
>                   Depth ${X_COLOR_DEPTH:-16}
>                   Modes ${MODE[*]}
>      #=========================================
>      # Added to enable Monitor/Control in Fl_TeacherTool
>                    Option "httpdir" "/usr/share/vnc/classes"
>                   Option "PasswordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
>                   Option "rfbport" "5900"
>                   Option "usevnc"
>      #=========================================
>           EndSubSection
>      EndSection
>
>     Now you'll have to make a password for the vnc-session. Run this
>     command as root:
>
>     #/usr/bin/vncpasswd
>
>     Choose a password and copy the password file into the ltsp-tree
>
>     #cp -R -p /root/.vnc /opt/ltsp/i386/root/
>
>     Now you must copy the vnc-module into the ltsp-tree:
>
>     # cd /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/
>     # wget ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/vnc-for-ltsp42/vnc.so
>
>     Reboot the clients and the new Monitor/Control buttons in
>     Fl_TeacherTool should work.

Awesome! Thanks Eric. I'll try it out. If people are able to use the
control/monitor feature without issue then I will release another
version of fl_TT that removes the experimental labeling.

Thanks again Eric. K12LTSP seems to have the magic that other LTSP
distros are aspiring towards.

--
Robert Arkiletian