[K12OSN] How to block myspace.com

Doug Simpson veewee77 at alltel.net
Wed May 24 23:56:41 UTC 2006

One easy way to do this is to go into the /etc/hosts file and add these
sites at the end.

examples:

127.0.0.1 myspace.com
127.0.0.1 www.myspace.com
127.0.0.1 what.ever.else.com

Do not disturb the first 127.0.0.1 line in there!!!! It has to be there
and correct for some things to work right.

What this will do os cause the server to oint attemped connections to
the localhost.  If you have a webserver running, it will show your local
site. . .

Quick and dirty, but you will drive yourself nutz trying to keep up with
all the variations of sites. . .

There are places you can get lists of thousands of entries to ut in the
/etc/hosts file that will do this very effectively.  If I can remember,
I will look that info u later. . .

Doug