[K12OSN] X starts, but turns off before GDM

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Fri May 26 13:42:00 UTC 2006

--- Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/25/06, Rob Owens <hick518 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'm having a problem with one thin client.  It is
> > *not* the gray screen issue.  What I'm getting is
> > looks like it's starting up, complete with the
> mouse
> > "icon" that indicates working, then the thin
> client
> > beeps and the screen goes black.  Then
> automatically X
> > attempts to start again, and the same thing
> happens
> > over and over.
> >
> > I have a RIVA 128 video card, and I had to
> manually
> > set the XSERVER = XF86_SVGA to get as far as I am.
> > Perhaps that's not correct?
> >
> > Any ideas of what my problem could be?  Lots of
> other
> > clients boot fine off of this same server.
>
> All my clients are RIVA 128. I bet you are trying to
> run them at 16
> bit color. Xorg or Xfree86 don't support 16 bit
> color for this card. I
> have to run them at 24 bit color in lts.conf.

I fixed my problem with XSERVER = vesa, but I'd still
like to know how you deal with these video cards.  I
seem to recall an error message at one point about
"depth 16".  How do I stop it from trying to run at 16
bit color?  Do you use XSERVER = vesa, or XSERVER =
auto?  Do you need a special mode line?  I don't fully
understand the mode lines...

Thanks

-Rob