[K12OSN] X starts, but turns off before GDM

Angus Carr acarr at saskforestcentre.ca
Fri May 26 15:30:00 UTC 2006

<Clip...>
>> All my clients are RIVA 128. I bet you are trying to
>> run them at 16
>> bit color. Xorg or Xfree86 don't support 16 bit
>> color for this card. I
>> have to run them at 24 bit color in lts.conf.
>>

> I fixed my problem with XSERVER = vesa, but I'd still
> like to know how you deal with these video cards.  I
> seem to recall an error message at one point about
> "depth 16".  How do I stop it from trying to run at 16
> bit color?  Do you use XSERVER = vesa, or XSERVER =
> auto?  Do you need a special mode line?  I don't fully
> understand the mode lines...
>
> Thanks
>
> -Rob

Google for "X_COLOR_DEPTH", which is a parameter in lts.conf. That's
about all you need to set, either globally or by station.

 From http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/lts_ig_v2.3/lts_ig_v2.3-9.html:
*X_COLOR_DEPTH*

    This is the number of bits to use for the color depth. Possible
    values are *8*, *15*, *16*, *24* and *32*. 8 bits will give 256
    colors, 16 will give 65536 colors, 24 will give 16 million colors
    and 32 bits will give 4.2 billion colors! Not all X servers support
    all of these values. The default value for this is *16*