[K12OSN] X starts, but turns off before GDM

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Fri May 26 21:02:39 UTC 2006

http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/lts_ig_v2.3/lts_ig_v2.3-9.html:
> *X_COLOR_DEPTH*
>
>     This is the number of bits to use for the color
> depth. Possible
>     values are *8*, *15*, *16*, *24* and *32*. 8
> bits will give 256
>     colors, 16 will give 65536 colors, 24 will give
> 16 million colors
>     and 32 bits will give 4.2 billion colors! Not
> all X servers support
>     all of these values. The default value for this
> is *16*

Thanks, that took care of it.  But now I've got
another question.  What is the down side of using the
vesa driver.  The reason I ask is because keeping
XSERVER=auto, and setting X_COLOR_DEPTH=15 gives me
worse looking graphics than XSERVER=vesa and leaving
X_COLOR_DEPTH alone.  Is vesa bad at motion?

-Rob