[K12OSN] yum problems on dialup

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Tue May 30 15:21:24 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 15:53 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:

-snip-

> I have a stock-standard 4.4.1 K12LTSP install, and using the supplied
> yum conf files and repos.  I've had to disable the K12 repo entirely
> because it never works for me, and when trying to run yum to upgrade or
> install new apps more often than not the other repos also time out and
> the operation fails with messages such as:
>
> ------------------------------
> Trying other mirror.
> primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 312 kB
> 01:14
> http://mirror.hiwaay.net/redhat/fedora/linux/extras/4/i386/repodata/primary.xml.gz: [Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out
> Trying other mirror
> ------------------------------
>
> 	.. and so, and so on for all repos until no more mirrors left.
>
> 	Sometimes I get a 404 error, such as:

-snip-

> Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: base
> Error importing repomd.xml from base: Error: could not parse
> file //var/cache/yum/base/repomd.xml
> ---------------------------------
>

> Can anyone shed any light on this?  Or, is dialup always going to be a
> problem with my new install?  I had occasional trouble with my old yum
> setup, but never as consistently bad as this.  So far I've only managed
> a couple of new apps installed with yum.

I looked into this some more and followed the directions given at the
foot of this page:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Mirrors
to add a local mirrors for fedora-extras, at least.

Now I consistently get an error that yum failed to parse the XML file:

cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: extras
Error importing repomd.xml from extras: Error: could not parse
file //var/cache/yum/extras/repomd.xml

I even tried reverting to using apt, but of course it doesn't come setup
with decent repos anymore.  When I did configure the livna repo, apt
just wanted to remove packages to be able to add new ones.  I am NOT
going down that path again, so forget it, apt :-(

Gavin.