[K12OSN] OT: /etc/hosts autoupdate

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Tue May 30 19:32:59 UTC 2006

On 5/30/06, Paul VanGundy <vangundypw at sau14.k12.nh.us> wrote:

> Is there a way for /etc/hosts to be automatically updated when DHCP gives a
> lease to a client? So in /etc/hosts it will say something like this:

I don't know about software to update /etc/hosts, but this feature IS
available in DNS.

Basically, you:
1) tell DHCP what the ddns-update domain is, and where the server is
(and, possibly, a cryptographic key to authenticate the DHCP server to
DNS)
2) tell the name server to accept updates from the DHCP server (make
sure name server can write to its data directory (/var/named, or
/var/named/chroot/var/named if bind-chroot is installed).

After that, client names should go into forward and reverse DNS zones
once they get an IP address from DHCP.

Calvin