[K12OSN] server/client matrix for LTSP ?

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Thu Nov 2 16:29:19 UTC 2006

Robert Arkiletian wrote:

> On 11/1/06, *john* <lists.john at gmail.com
> <mailto:lists.john at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I'm running ltsp 4.2 on Ubuntu 6.016 LTS and trying to figure out
>     how much server/ram to budget for. Has anyone ever done a matrix
>     that says x number of clients = this kind of server robustness?
>     I've seen this http://www.k12ltsp.org/casestudy.html but it'd be
>     great to have something a little more concise
>

> Not set in stone but this easy to remember
>
> cpu: 100mhz/client
> memory: 100mb/client

A friend of mine has done benchmarking and claims that the
price/performance curve is at a minimum with 10 clients per server,
using very basic "entry level" servers: any Pent IV with 2 GB RAM and
SATA disks. (This combination is cheapest, he claims, only when you
don't have to pay for multiple server licenses from a certain well known
software manufacturer...)
Can anyone verify or contradict his idea?
Thanks,
Micha