[K12OSN] Meeting with district

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 19:04:01 UTC 2006

On Thursday 02 November 2006 14:12, Darryl Palmer wrote:
> On 11/1/06, Todd O'Bryan <toddobryan at mac.com> wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > We met with the district this afternoon and, after much discussion,
> > they agreed to let us use the thin clients as long as we bought a
> > hardware firewall to insulate us from the network. They're
> > comfortable with one brand (FortiNet) so we're looking at an extra
> > $1000 or so.
>
> I thought I remembered the name FortiNet from somewhere.  They were one of
> the first batch of companies to be found to violate the GPL.  Be a real
> cold day before I give them a dime.  See
> http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5684880.html
>
> Darryl

This is ironic. The district tech office wants to firewall this huge "security
risk" of a Linux machine, by using a Linux-based firewall. Meanwhile they
express no concern for the security risks presented by Windows. LOL

This might make good ammunition for presenting alternatives that are also
based on open source kernels: IPCop is linux based, monowall and pfSense are
FreeBSD based. All 3 projects are better "corporate citizens" than Fortinet
has proven to be. Cost aside, Fortinet would be my last choice.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |