[K12OSN] HP Pavillion

Peter Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Nov 3 16:32:15 UTC 2006

Is anyone using a recent model HP Pavillion for a server?  We're looking
at buying a bunch of a1600n models for use as classroom K12LTSP servers.
  My two concerns are the ethernet chip and the SATA controller and
disk.  I ask because last year I bought a Compaq (forget the model) for
use as a K12LTSP 4.2 server for a small office.  It had a Marvel
ethernet chip and SATA, but during the installation Fedora (Core 4)
couldn't see the ethernet port and I had a dickens of a time getting it
to see the SATA drive (I'm not even sure I did get the drive working).
I ended up taking it back, and after a shouting match with the store
manager, got them to give me full credit, that is, no restocking fee,
toward building my own box.  Normally, I do build my own, but in this
case, brand-name hardware will make acceptance easier.  I'm hoping that
FC5-based K12LTSP 5 will have better luck.  (I've noticed Ubuntu usually
does not work with the wireless chip on the latest Compaq laptops.)

I plan to go to Best Buy and run the FC5 Live CD in the Pavillion, but
if anyone is already running this or a similar system, it would be
reassuring.

Petre