[K12OSN] Do you still need to download a seperate sound handling app for LTSP 4.2?

john lists.john at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 23:48:40 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I've done a little more research on the LTSP site and it looks like I need
to download and compile a tool for redirecting sound to clients. According
to http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/Sound#Sound_on_LTSP_Terminals :

"The NASD and ESD daemons are included in the ltsp_core package, but you
will need to install a package on the server, to redirect the audio stream
to the terminal. This package contains a shell script whose sole purpose is
to configure the environment so that applications know where to find the
NASD or ESD server."

1) Do I need this script it 4.2? I assume yes, although I haven't found it
mentioned after version 4.1, but it would be nice to know for sure.
2) Why is this an add-on rather than part of the base install (as a matter
of curiosity)?

Thanks!

John