[K12OSN] Using a remote mail server and letting apache have access to it

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Nov 5 20:29:57 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 03:26, jones yeates wrote:
> Whenever I do a make and I have the confTRUSTED_USERS it compiles fine
> but then it won't restart sendmail properly.

This is probably a syntax error - m4 syntax is kind of obscure.
If you are following an example, note the direction of each
of the single quotes.  But, all the trusted user setting does
is omit adding a Sender: header to point out cases where the From:
and real user don't match.   You probably want it for this case
but the mail will go through either way.

> I will try the confDOMAIN on (Monday), but I am not clear as to why I
> need a long address for the server for apache to work that is running
> on the same machine.

Sendmail is an internet mailer.  It wants to resolve names
using proper internet conventions and fully qualified domain
names are the only thing usable on the internet.  It is also
going to try to resolve the destination addresses so it can
apply any IP based restrictions or mappings in your access
and other configuration files, even though it it will defer
actual delivery to your specified smarthost, so make sure
you have access to public DNS on this box.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com