[K12OSN] "Locking Down" user preferences

Ryan Hackl ryan.hackl at lskysd.ca
Mon Nov 6 14:42:32 UTC 2006

G'day, all!

I've got K12LTSP working with thin clients in classrooms throughout the school.  Students user settings are modified at log in (via a script) so that when they log in, their homepage and proxy settings are set to access the web via our dansguardian/squid server.

Trouble is, students who have found where this setting is are able to change the proxy setting for their current log in, and this isn't so good.

I know in Windows (2003, which we also have running in the school), there is a "Group Policy Object" that allows the administrator to "lock out" users from the 'Internet Properties' setting in IE.

Is there such a resource for K12LTSP, so I can lock-out, or "hide" the "Preferences" control panel in Firefox?

Thanks for any suggestions!

- Ryan Hackl
Spiritwood High School