[K12OSN] Shared Sessions? - SonicWall

Darryl Palmer dpalmerjr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 00:25:14 UTC 2006

On 11/6/06, Peter Hartmann <ascensiontech at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1)  Run the web browsers locally on each thin client.  This will take up
> > tons of resources, at least for Firefox, but if you have the memory to
> spare
> > then this will fix it.
>
> Our principal wants logging of squidguard blocked attempts per user.
> I told him that I thought authenticating to squidguard with ldap was
> possible.  Do you think I would have to run firefox locally too?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Geez, I typed that long tecno-babble response and didn't really answer the
question.  You can use LDAP two ways, you can either have the kids log on to
the terminals using LDAP, or you can have the kids logon when they start up
the browser.

AFAIK, if you use LDAP just for browser authentication then Squid will just
authenticate ONCE.  The problem you get into is that the first person to do
the LDAP authentication sets the username/password for everyone on the
machine.

To allow the kids to logon to the terminals you can use the smbldap tools to
make the same groups/users on the server.  But then the kids will need to
logon to the terminals to use them at all.

If you want the kids just to use their logon for the Internet and not have
to logon to start the terminals, then the only way to do it is to install
firefox locally.

Darryl