[K12OSN] LTSP and K12LTSP in British Columbia

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 03:37:46 UTC 2006

On 11/6/06, Casey Mynott <bigjeep95 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Robert!
>
> FOSS alliance? Sounds like a revolution. Just kidding. In all seriousness,
> I think that is an awesome idea. I wonder what we would need to make that
> fly...????

Well for the moment simply knowing which schools are running Linux would be
a help for all of us. Unfortunately, not everyone who is using Linux is on
this list. So I suppose someone or some group  would need to contact each
district and inquire if any schools had implemented it.

Casey

> [...]
>

> Each school server runs linux with ltsp buried into a vserver.  All higher
> functions run in the host- ltsp on the vserver.  Their mail, fax, backups
> ... everything is linux.  Several school homepage use Moodle with other
> schools moving their old home pages to a customized moodle.  All schools
> use
> FreeNX for logons from home- so do I now!
>
> I'm still the only school in our district running K12LTSP.  Last year,
>

> As am I. There is one other for Adult Ed. However, many of the private
> schools around Vancouver use Linux.
>

> sitting on the Tech Committee, in was told that Prince Charles Secondary
> would be allowed to remain linux.  Later I was told that we were being
> moved
> to windows...  standardization...  So much for committee decision.  Our
> school is the only school to have fully functional computers
> EveryDay.  Our
> number of computers is still growing in our school WITHOUT a
> budget...  Our
> technician has said that there is no way our school would run as well as
> it
> dows it we used windows.  We can't switch over to windows without
>

> Would your principal allow you to keep the labs?
>

> $100,000.00.  A principal from nearby came to visit our school on two
> occations last May to see how well our system worked.  He arranged for me
> purchase a server for K12LTSP and I scoped out 25 HPt5515 clients for 120
> piece- total price of under $4000.00.   The lead teach found out- went to
> the Superintendent -did I say our school district is millions in debt??
> and
> stopped the linux lab from happening.  THEN turned around and spent
> $30,000.00 on a windows lab instead...  Oh well- end rant.
>

> I am curious if the lead tech or any of the lower techs have Linux/Unix
> skills?
>

> As we are still in debt Prince Charles Secondary won't move to
> windows.  We
> offer so much with our system now it would take an army of technicians
> months to make the same things happen in windows and that is accordinbg to
> my local technician.
>

> Many have experienced similar situations. You are not alone. Don't give
> up. If you like send me your phone number privately and I'll call you. Maybe
> we can start an alliance for FOSS in Education in BC. If we can site X many
> teachers or schools using it in BC, then our voice will be stronger.
>
> Thanks everyone for an awesome system.   Try out FreeNX!

> Not only does Windows Live™ OneCare™ provide all-in-one PC care to keep
> your
> computer protected and well-maintained, but it also makes creating backup
> files a breeze. Try it today!
>
> http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionid=b2456790-90e6-4d28-9219-5d7207d94d45&mkt=en-ca

> --
> Robert Arkiletian
> Eric Hamber Secondary, Vancouver, Canada

Robert Arkiletian