[K12OSN] [K12LTSP] enable root login from remote-terminal

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Nov 8 16:25:12 UTC 2006

Dan Young wrote:
> LarryT wrote:
>> In both kdmrc and kdmrc.ltsp i changed the two lines with *true*, but i
>> still have the same "admin is not allowed to login..."
>> Do i need to restart anything for it works ?
>
> Hmm, gdm has gdm-restart and gdm-safe-restart, but I don't know what the
> equivalent is for kdm. As long as nobody is logged in, you could do this
> from the console:
>
> # telinit 3
> # telinit 5
>
> I wish Fedora ran the display manager as a service in /etc/rc.d/init.d
> (like Ubuntu) instead of from inittab.

Actually, I've noticed that with KDM, root can't login directly even on the console, at
least with the default settings.  I'll need to figure out how to get around this at some
point, but haven't had the time so far.  Also, I've posted about how the login screen,
aka the KDM greeter, doesn't seem to respond to changes made in the Control Center in KDE.

To switch from GDM to KDM, make the change in /etc/sysconfig/desktop and then run
gdm-stop; gdm will stop, but then kdm will automatically be started.

Petre