[K12OSN] So close....

Eric Brown ericbrow at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 16:36:58 UTC 2006

>How do you save several hundreds ($600/$700/$800) of dollars per machine ?
>
>What   'machine'  are you talking about ?

It varies depending on the computer we're looking for, and what
specials are being offered.  For example, at the beginning of the
year, I was pricing 4 computers that were going to be used for video
editing, so they needed to have some better specifications than the
normal workstation.  Using school pricing, the computers came to
around $3100 per machine.  Home user pricing came to $2800 per
machine.  I ended up purchasing parts from mwave.com, and built
slightly better computers for under $1200 each.  I had students assist
me in assembly, and turned it into a learning project as well.

Last year, I remember specifically a $500 price difference on Dell's
website for a laptop we were considering.

I think it may have to do with the fact that this pricing is under a
state negoated contract, and most gropus in education in our state are
in very deep with Apple, and have been for decades.  I've attended a
state educational technology conference the last few years, and each
year, Apple is the largest vendor.  This year, we even had a writer
for MacWorld spread his pro-mac propaganda as a keynote address.  I've
had to fight to keep apple out of my classroom more than most others
have had to fight to keep Windows out.

Eric