[K12OSN] Opinions on a Forum

Steven Santos steven at simplycircus.com
Mon Nov 13 20:56:43 UTC 2006

Shane,

This has been discussed here before.  The bottom line with it is that it
just wouldn't fit with everyones current workflow nearly as well as an email
list does.  My vote for changing to a forums set-up would be a no.

Something like PHPBB and Mail2Forums was sugested, allowing everyone the
best of both worlds, but no one ever did anything with it.

While my vote for changing to a forum is a no, I think a forum could add a
lot. If you are gun-ho about this, if you have the time to put into this,
the technical skill to do this, and you really wanted to create a site that
would start to change peoples minds, you would have to offer them content
that they will use and that is easier than what they currently do.

Here are some ideas for you to think about:

- a single board with feeds to/from all of the various LTSP mailing lists
(Ltsp-discuss, Ltsp-developer, Ltsp-announce, Ltsp-translations.

- a google coop search for LTSP specific websites.

- set up a bot to allow automated captures of irc.freenode.net #ltsp and
#ltsp-docs conversations and then have the transcripts automatically posted
to the site (politics of that are up to you to figure out...).

- a news blog or newsletter type thing for LTSP, with news summeries from
the various lists, IRC's and CVS changes.

- an updated a set of key links to good LTSP websites.

- set up a "K12LTSP-Teachers" forum, and answer questions in that forum
(hard questions can easily be forwarded to this list for more technical
help)

- set up torrents for all K12LTSP ISO's

- Try to figure out other ways to get LTSP content on such a site that would
draw people in and help enhance the community, rather than trying to change
it.

----
Steven Santos
Director, Simply Circus, Inc.