[K12OSN] User already logged in prompt

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Nov 13 22:09:16 UTC 2006

Having multiple users log in with the same ID is generally a bad idea, because of the
problems you're running into.  For kindergartners, it would be better to setup the
clients to automatically login.  To do so, you have to do a small bit of configuration
for each client machine, but I don't think it's too hard.

Credit where credit is due: Morris Brandon Elementary in Atlanta does this.  William
Fragakis, who set it up, sent the following to me on configuring it:

here's the links to the auto-logins BIG WARNING - something breaks in
ver. 5 so that default desktop gets you an Xterm session which you then
have to exit and ask to get GNOME/KDE back. It would help if I took the
5 minutes to look at the kdmrc from a clean Ver. 5 install but haven't
got around to it. Did get a box from Ver 5 to Ver 6b over the weekend -
it takes a little while (it is 1.3 ghz Via C3, not very speedy).

downloads:
http://morrisbrandon.com/index.php?name=BeeBoard&tid=2

It's under "Server Files"

he'll need the "desktop" file and either the kdmrc_closed_server or
kdmrc_desktop_server depending whether the server also serves as a
desktop.

closed_desktop is for a server that isn't a desktop. Of course, rename
them kdmrc

At the bottom of the file is the mod - change our usernames bee1, etc.
for whatever you chose. Also note that below that for the desktop
server, we have it auto login as bee1

[X-:0-Core]
# Enable automatic login on this display. USE WITH EXTREME CARE!
# Default is false
AutoLoginEnable=true
# The user to log in automatically. NEVER specify root!
# let's use bee1 as the regular user of the server
AutoLoginUser=bee1

Just comment out those two lines if that isn't the behaviour you want.

Also, mind that we use fixed IPs so we know which workstations are going to come us
ws001, etc.

Hope this helps

direct links:

http://morrisbrandon.com/classrooms/admin/BeeBoard/Server%20Files/desktop