[K12OSN] Opinions on a Forum

David H. Barr dhbarr at gozelle.com
Mon Nov 13 22:41:32 UTC 2006

On 11/13/06, Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 16:55 -0500, Shane Sammons wrote:

> > Again, thanks, and I will see how I feel and how others way in at.
> > Hopefully if I do get a forum up I can put aside enough time to
> > contribute good topics and set it up with some useful initial
> > information.

> Try joining a few dozen mailing lists and forums before you decide
> which you like better. Forums become very cumbersome when you have
> more than a couple of interests.

Ding!

I can't imagine trying to keep up with 5 forums.  But staying current
with 5 mailing lists is no problem, because it's all in my inbox (and
sorted by rules) when I have time to sit down and scan through.

Also, the messages downloadd without my direct interaction, whereas
the forum concept requires continual page loads and reloads.  No
offline mode for forums, either.  And users who are more hops away
from the server will see these effects magnified.

All in all, the mailing list is the best we have (that I know of) at this time.

-dhbarr.