[K12OSN] Error! dhcpcd failed!

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Nov 13 23:04:57 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 14:08 -0500, Shane Sammons wrote:
> Ok I have successfully trouble shot the switch. Thanks to a handy fine
> with Google, and not being able to find what they are talking about I
> got 2 older switch an Intel 510T (I know...bad reports on this..works
> though) and a 3com 10T Super Stack II 1100 Switch.
>
> It would seem the Dell PowerConnect 3324 and 3348 suffer from a LONG
> delay in negotiations or something. I tried disabling auto negotiation
> and a setting its MDIX mode to no avail. I have given up on this
> switch. If anyone would like to read more of what I found it was here:
> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Q_21738490.html

It isn't the speed/duplex negotiations that take time, it is
spanning-tree
where it tries to determine if there are additional switches creating
loops in the connections.  I think Dell actually follows the spec for
timing.  Did you get to a point where you can use the switch web
interface for administration?  If so, expand, the 'switch' navigation
links on the left, then 'spanning tree', then select global settings
and change the STP operation mode from 'Classic' to 'Rapid STP'.  If
that still doesn't work and you are sure you won't connect other
switches (i.e. this is just the client side of a 2-nic setup) you
can disable it completely.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com