[K12OSN] Lost electricity / Lost SMBLDAP

David Whitmer dwblue02 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 19:22:39 UTC 2006

--- Kari Matthews <karisue at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Yesterday, my building lost electricity.  The server
> was not plugged in to
> the UPS, so the server and all the workstations lost
> power. When the
> electricity went back on, none of the computers
> would login to the server.
>
> I have a Ubuntu server and Edubuntu fat clients that
> authenticate with the
> Oquist / Trask SMBLDAP script.
>
> Any ideas on where I can start hunting this problem
> down?
>
> Thanks,
> Kari

Kari,

Something similar had happened to me a few months ago.
 My guess is that the LDAP database got corrupted
because the service didn't shutdown properly.  That's
what had happened to me.

I'm not able to look up the exact steps I followed
right now, but generally I:
* stopped the LDAP service
* deleted the current LDAP database
* imported into LDAP the most recent backup of that
database
* started the LDAP service

And then everyone was able to log in okay.

I hope this helps!

David Whitmer

Director of Media & Technology
Calvary Schools of Holland