[K12OSN] Do anyone here REALLY understand LTSP and remote sound?

Barry R Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Tue Nov 14 22:09:42 UTC 2006

Hi John,

there's your problem with your intel i810 sound. I know even when
installing Winderz,,on this chipset if you dont install the proprietary
Intel chipset software peice the onboard sound& NIC etc,will never work:(.
Ditch this client for now and try your Ntavo box, the realtek soundchip
should initialize correctly at bootup. Like I say,when the client is
booting,after several lines of usb.... you should see the kernel try and
initailize your soundcard, aka: sound soundblaster, or realtek with a few
lines of irg/dma,etc.if it says error at this point,, no sound ever.with
this particular soundcard.Also this is kind of a hillbilly troubleshoot
but turn your speakers all the way up,and when bootup reaches this
point,you should hear a diffinate "pop" sound. this indicates that your
sound card has been detected/initialized. If you NEVER hear the pop from
your speakers at bootup,your sound is NEVER going to work,period! But,, if
you heard the pop your sound should work,At this point go through the
steps,,i mentioned in my earlier post. Your dmesg output you posted
diffentaly indicates your intel soundcard didnt do the initialize,and
hence,, no soundy:(..
Dig through your old PC's even P1's and pop in any pci soundcard,,and go
through them all till you hear the distinctive "pop" at bootup,,then you
are going to have sound out of this box,so you know what you should be
seeing/hearing. Ask you friend for an old discarded pc,,with pci soundcard
if thats what it takes.
After you "hear" what you should be hearing then you should eventually be
able to add to your lts.conf file some lines for your intel i810 box,and
get that sound card to "live".. Ive found its much less headache to use
cheapo soundcards,PCI instead of doing all the adding lines to lts.conf...

Hope this helps.

Barry Cisna
westcentral school