[K12OSN] What's coming in edubuntu...report from UDS Mtn View

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Nov 16 06:53:34 UTC 2006

David Trask wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Chuck Liebow asked about what happened at UDS Mountain View.

 > So...I
> figured I'd let you know!  Rather than write a very long email
> here....I'll simply direct you to my blog post at
> http://dtrask.wordpress.com where I explained everything I know in detail.
>  One thing I can say is that Edubuntu has come of age....and the next
> release is going to be awesome!  Now...don't feel like you'll be dissing
> Eric if you decide to try and use Edubuntu....after all...he was there at
> Mtn. View....actively participating in the development of Edubuntu.  We
> are all one big happy family....it's OK.

Not only did I help, I also learned a new trick or two along the way ;-)

The only thing I learned at UDS Mountain View that will be incorporated
into K12LTSP 6.0 is breaking up the education applications into two meta
packages (one for younger kids, one for older kids).

Everything else I'll include in the "muekow" K12LTSP build I've been
working on (after I finish K12LTSP 6.0, of course).

K12LTSP development stuff from UDS-MV:

* made a lot of changes to my "muekow" build to jive with Edubuntu
(still need to add LDM, but otherwise I'm pretty close)

* ported ogra's rough draft of LTSP management gui to Fedora

* I banged on Student Control Panel a little bit, it runs on Fedora but
currently only works with LDM (which K12LTSP doesn't include as of yet).
Should be easy to patch to work with LDM or XDMCP (the current K12LTSP
method).

* Pulseaudio by default -> the sound guys at UDS-MV say that this will
greatly improve thin-client audio

* probably more, but it's late and my brain is shutting down ;-)

> I won't tell you what he runs on his laptop....

K12LTSP 6.0.0-64bit, of course!

On a secondary partition, I have the latest Edubuntu installed.

Last and least, I have a small WinXP partition. (I've even booted into
XP once just to verify that it works ;-)

 > although he had to get a new laptop in SF....but I'll let
> him tell you why  ;-)

As a general rule of thumb, laptops work better if you don't spill water
on them...

-Eric