[K12OSN] network control?

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 19:27:42 UTC 2006

Any solution incorporating the Squid proxy can use Squid's access control
rules to allow or disallow access based on time of day; see the squid
documentation.

One big advantage of running something like IPCop with URLFilter (which is
Squid based) is that it can perform transparent proxying, meaning that it
can't be bypassed by "turning off" proxy use in the browser. Running it on
dedicated hardware means that LTSP resources won't be impacted (network
bandwidth, CPU, disk, and RAM) by performing double duty as a proxy/content
filter as well as an LTSP compute server.