[K12OSN] Good News; and How-tos on configuring K12LTSP logons to Active Directory

john lists.john at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 22:57:23 UTC 2006

Hi Tom,

Take a look at this doc. It uses ubuntu, but for the most part it's agnostic
in terms of flavor. The pam.d section is very good.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ActiveDirectoryWinbindHowto

After your users can authenticate with their Windows domain credentials
Basically:

1) install pam_mount

2) Leave all of the stuff at the top alone and at the bottom of the file
configure /etc/security/pam_mount.conf to look something like:

volume * smbfs FILE_SERVER DIRECTORY_W-STND_SHARES
/home/WINDOWS/&/.windowsShare
uid=&,gid=&,dmask=750,workgroup=YOUR_WIN_DOMAIN - -

This file will:

a) look for the fileserver by name or ip (i added to file server to my
/etc/hosts file just to be sure).
b) mount the shared directory
c) mount the share whereever you want it to be in this case in
/home/WINDOWS/domain_user/.hiddenfile (pam_mount will auto-magically create
this if it doesn't exist, I believe)

d) Then I use a little script to in /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default to create a
shortcut on the desktop which points to the hidden windows share. It's not
quite right yet, but you can try it out:

#!/bin/sh
zd=/home/WINDOWS/$USER/Desktop/ZDrive
if [ ! -L $zd ]
then
    rm -f /home/VANGUARD/$USER/Desktop/ZDrive
    ln -s $HOME/.windowsShare/*/$USER $zd
fi

Hope this helps.

John