[K12OSN] K12LTSP vs. Ubuntu

Edward Holcroft edward at netday.org.za
Mon Nov 20 16:11:56 UTC 2006

I've tested Edubuntu (up to an including 6.10) and I have installed K12LTSP
into near 60 rural school computer labs all over South Africa in the most
extreme of conditions.

Edubuntu: fine if you're a Linux hobbyist and prepared to play around to get
even basic thin client up and working. OK as a fat client desktop, but
nowhere near enterprise ready. It's no good if you want to do multiple,
identical  deployments with minimal effort. Despite my best efforts (and I
use kubuntu as my regular desktop) Edubuntu is just way too buggy.

K12LTSP: if you want to just install and walk away with a stable, working
system *almost* regardless of workstation configuration then choose K12LTSP.
My need is that a teacher with only the most basic of PC literacy in a rural
African village should be able to reinstall the system in the event of a
catastrophic system failure, such as a hard drive crash. This is not yet
possible on Edubuntu, while it is the case with K12LTSP. K12LTSP is
especially well suited to ease of multiple site rollouts in such a scenario.
Of course, the hard-core customisation option is still there if you want it -
it is Linux after all.

If you're facing a choice between these two, there's no contest. Maybe in a
year or two Edubuntu will get there, since it certainly has shown progress in
some areas.

cheers
ed