[K12OSN] Fl_Teachers_Tool

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 18:01:11 UTC 2006

On 11/20/06, Eric Harrison <eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us> wrote:
> Eric Harrison wrote:
> > Robert Arkiletian wrote:

> >> Yes, this was my initial thought also but I changed my mind as it has
> >> too many down sides.
> >

> > Why not do both? Depending on the situation, one will be preferable over
> > the other...
> >

> Back from dinner... here is a bit more verbose description of what I had
> in mind ;-)
>
> I see several different ways it would be useful to get a list of users:
>
> 1) get a list of all users that are logged in (current method)
>
> 2) get a list of users logged in by location (the terminal MAC address
> method)
>
> 3) get a list of users logged in by group (such as "getent group $GROUP
> | cut -d: -f4")
>
> 4) a list of users (picked from "getent passwd | cut -d: -f1" ?)
>

> For #2 & #3, there could be a "add more users" button that calls #4
>
> Each user can save their filters/lists, i.e. Mrs. Smith can create and
> save her own "Math" filter that includes all users in the math group, an
> "English tutoring" filter that includes jdoe, ksmith, and gbush, etc,
> etc. Maybe even allowing combining rules and also allowing negation
> (i.e. users in the "math" group, but not currently logged into the
> "reading" lab, plus jdoe and ksmith)

The requests for additional features I have gotten in the past have been for #2.
Let me try to get #2 working and test that first I don't want to make
too many changes all at once. Incremental steps make debugging much
easier. Once I get #2 working I'll post the source so people can test
it.

> Oh, and make it all very easy to use, allow arbitrarily complex filters,
> and have a compact, simple interface - preferably just a single button
> that does all of this. ;-)

You forgot to add the ability to transfer raw electro quantum
knowledge through reverse mouse osmosis to students cerebrums at
100Mbs. That would be a killer app! Maybe even literally.  ;)