[K12OSN] winexe for admining winders machines

Barry R Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sat Nov 25 18:14:08 UTC 2006

Hello list,

Just thought Id throw this out.  This would seem to be a good fit for
anyone using K12LTSP at schools,or whereever.I m sure several are familiar
with the pstools  by sysinternals ( now owned by MS). If not its easy to
use command line tools for pushing out apps to windows machines remoteley.
Much the same as  AD application installing. There is now a peice out by a
gentleman,that has taken it on himself to port psexec to linux, called
winexe that runs on linux. Had some troubles getting it all to work
initially but now have it down to a  science. It's worth having alook at
if you have lots of windows boxes are on your network,,and need to put
updates ..etc,,,on these machines.. I can admin all the high $$$ winders
machines at school from my $10 linux thin client box..:)..
I needed something like this ,to initially get the OCSInventory agent
installed on these windows machines,so thereafter i could use the
OCSInventory application to install apps,,which is all "automated".
Much more reliable than using AD to try and install apps which usually
choke from the MSI/ Windows installer:(.

Do a search for  "psexec for linux". You'll get the link were to download
this executable. Its a simple tarred file you simply extract to a folder
and it'll work No compiling,/dependecies,,yada,,yada,,,
Hoep this helps..

Barry Cisna

westcentral school