[K12OSN] OpenOffice upgrade

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 20:01:04 UTC 2006

On 11/27/06, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running K12ltsp 5 and want to update OpenOffice.org to the latest
> version 2.0.4 (I hope to solve Impress crashing problems that way.) What is
> the recommended way to do that?
> 1. Use yum install using the Fedora Core 6 repositories?
> 2. Download the rpm on OpenOffice.org website and install using rpm -Uvih
> *.rpm

I'd suggest option 1, since I think that gives you the best chance of
having all the libraries which a) are needed by OO and b) are
available "off the shelf" in Fedora.

You can do this by doing a straight upgrade to Core 6, though that may
not work (I've had failures of one sort or another on about 30% of the
systems I've tried this on). I'm guessing you should use the K12LTSP 6
beta if you try this route.

If you don't try the upgrade, or it doesn't work when you try it, then
I'd suggest the following:

1) Install the "fedora-release" package from Core 6.
2) remove any extra yum add-ons (like "yum-fastestmirror")
3) Update the "glibc" packages
4) update rpm
5) update yum
4) Update the rest of the packages. Don't be surprised if yum can't
handle such an update, due to dependency issues. If yum DOES barf, you
can either remove problem packages OR upgrade a few items at a time (I
did the latter)

Calvin