[K12OSN] K12LTSP on an intel mac mini?

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Nov 28 20:36:50 UTC 2006

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 13:43:07 -0500, Bryant Patten wrote
>> Has anyone had any success setting up a K12LTSP/LTSP server on a
>> Macintosh Mini (intel)?
>>
>> I have a client that has some Apple credits and wants to pilot a
>> K12LTSP lab with a couple of machines.
>
> It looks like you want to use a Mac mini as a server.  You can, install a PPC
> os and then add the LTSP packages to it.  I did this and yes, I was able to
> boot both i386 and PPC clients from it.  However, there is a huge downside.  I
> could not get many of the i386 apps to run on the PPC os.  Most of the
> edutainment stuff simply would not run, which sort of defeats the purpose.
>
> Better solution, stick with i386 for your server, then try and get mac minis
> to work as clients if need be.

I think he just said that his Mac Mini is i386. I'd guess the 2.5" HD in
the Mini would be quite a bottleneck, but YMMV.

This makes it sound like you have reason to be optimistic about getting
it to work:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraOnMactel

Try out the K12LTSP 6 beta and let us know what happens!

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services