[K12OSN] One user gets sound -- rest do not?

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Fri Nov 3 14:53:57 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 23:05:05 -0500
"Joseph Bishay" <joseph.bishay at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hope everyone is doing well.
>
> In my struggle to get sound working in our lab, I noticed that the
> issue is no longer that of hardware (since we've got many identical
> machines) but that of users.
>
> I have one specific user who can get sound to work fine.  But another
> user on the same machine get no sound.
>
> I've looked at their settings as best I could (through webmin and by
> using the id username command, and they are identical.  But clearly
> there is a difference.  What could it be??
>
> I'm using K12LTSP based on FC3

EASY FIX: Are all users in the right group?

HARDER FIX:

Does it work if you power down the system before the new user logs in?

I have an issue with my LTSP install that goes like this:

  A) User 1 logs in -- Sound is OK
  B) User 1 logs out

     ------------------------
     |                      |
User 2 logs in           User 1 logs in again
   No Sound               Sound

Powering down and giving the user a "clean" login away works.

I have tried and tried to fix it, but spent more time then it was worth
to me. So now I just live with it.

If this is your case, search the K12LTSP and the LTSP lists for my email
address to see what others suggested.

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org