[K12OSN] Laptop query

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 15:04:26 UTC 2006

Hi all. This is a bit off-topic, but I am considering giving myself an early
Xmas present: a new laptop.

I will be running Fedora Core on it and will be getting enough RAM to act as
an LTSP server for *demonstrations* only.

For serveral reasons (one of which is on-island support) I have tenetively
settled on the Dell Inspiron e1505. My criteria are:

	- reasonable cost
	- driver support in Fedora Core (including wifi with Intel Pro)

My questions are these: does anyone out there have experience running Linux on
this box? If so, which video card are you using (Intel 950 , ATI Mobility, or
nVidia Geforce)?

I am not overly concerned with video speed, just compatibility with
x.org and being able to run full resolution and color depth with stability. I
am more concerned with saving money. I want to avoid the nVidia binary driver
too.

I have been very happy with my old Gateway Solo 9300 running Fedora Core 5,
but it is getting long in the tooth and doesn't have the horsepower for the
role I want this new laptop to play.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |