[K12OSN] Using a remote mail server and letting apache have access to it

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Nov 4 03:10:14 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 13:41, jones yeates wrote:
> I finally got the trusted user thing to work.  Tapache finally shows
> up in the sendmail.cf file. I needed to "compile"? the mc file by
> doing a
>
> m4 /usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc >
> /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
>
> (I was compiling it by doing:  mail -C /etc/mail/)

All you should have to do is:
service sendmail restart
or 'make' in the /etc/mail directory (which is automatically
done by the init script when sendmail starts.

> I checked the /var/log/maillog file and got this error when I tried to
> e-mail through apache:
>
> Nov  3 11:34:36 serverName sendmail[8338]: My unqualified host name
> (serverName) unknown; sleeping for retry
>
> I don't understand why its unqualified.  It is listed as a trusted
> user.
> I still can't get the masquerade to work.

Sendmail can't resolve your machine's name in DNS.  Set
your hostname to a fully qualified domain name or
specify the name, or if that can't be done, use
define(`confDOMAIN_NAME',`<your_domain>')dnl

This has nothing to do with trusted users, which are allowed
to specify a From: other than themselves without having
a Sender: line inserted.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com