[K12OSN] Printing

Ernst ernst at hisplace.net
Sat Nov 4 12:06:03 UTC 2006

Hi,
I have set up K12LTSP server (LTSP_KERNEL_VERSION=2.6.17.3-ltsp-1) and two
diskless workstaions.
To one workstation a USB printer is connected.
I have added to lts.conf:
[00:40:63:E9:86:25]
#    MODULE_01           = usb-ohci     # Error: module not found
#    MODULE_02           = printer      #        module not found

    PRINTER_0_DEVICE   = /dev/usb/lp0
    PRINTER_0_TYPE     = U              # P-Parallel, S-Serial, U-USB
    PRINTER_0_PORT     = 9100           # tcp/ip port: defaults to 9100
    PRINTER_0_SPEED    = 9600           # baud rate: defaults to 9600
    PRINTER_0_FLOWCTRL = S              # Flow control: S-Software (XON/XOFF),
                                        # H-Hardware (CTS/RTS)
    PRINTER_0_PARITY   = N              # Parity: N-None, E-Even, O-Odd
                                        # (defaults to 'N')
    PRINTER_0_DATABITS = 8              # Databits: 5,6,7,8 (defaults to 8)
    PRINTER_0_WRITE_ONLY = N            # defaults to N

    SCREEN_01  = startx
    SCREEN_02  = shell

Then I need to tell the server to send print jobs to that workstation (ws253).
For this I try to add a cups printer in the KDE print managing tool.
The printer starts printing:
POST /printers/ HTP/1.1
Expect: 100-continue
.... followed by some gibberish.

Seems to me like this was a message intended for the cups daemon on the
workstation.
But instead the printer (a HP PSC 2110) prints it out.

Sorry about this question. Certainly this has been described somewhere. But
til now I did not find out how to configure the printer.

Regards
Ernst Arnold