[K12OSN] LTSP and K12LTSP in British Columbia

Jim Christiansen christiansen_j at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 6 17:12:08 UTC 2006

I've been absent from the list for a couple of months- just lurking since
getting K12LTSP5 up on a number of boxes, and I want to bring everyone up to
date.  My school, Prince Charles Secondary, in Creston, is now running 3
K12LTSP servers with a total of about 120 thin clients.  I deliver high-end
Cad and several other apps through crossover- everything else FOSS.

A week or so ago my principal brought in a sub teacher for me and I went to
visit Kamloops where EVERY elementary and middle school runs ltsp and high
schools, I understand, have moved to ltsp or are moving over soon.  I
visited the IT Manager and head Tech there for several hours and was amazed
how they ran each school.

Each school server runs linux with ltsp buried into a vserver.  All higher
functions run in the host- ltsp on the vserver.  Their mail, fax, backups
... everything is linux.  Several school homepage use Moodle with other
schools moving their old home pages to a customized moodle.  All schools use
FreeNX for logons from home- so do I now!

I'm still the only school in our district running K12LTSP.  Last year,
sitting on the Tech Committee, in was told that Prince Charles Secondary
would be allowed to remain linux.  Later I was told that we were being moved
to windows...  standardization...  So much for committee decision.  Our
school is the only school to have fully functional computers EveryDay.  Our
number of computers is still growing in our school WITHOUT a budget...  Our
technician has said that there is no way our school would run as well as it
dows it we used windows.  We can't switch over to windows without
$100,000.00.  A principal from nearby came to visit our school on two
occations last May to see how well our system worked.  He arranged for me to
purchase a server for K12LTSP and I scoped out 25 HPt5515 clients for 120 a
piece- total price of under $4000.00.   The lead teach found out- went to
the Superintendent -did I say our school district is millions in debt?? and
stopped the linux lab from happening.  THEN turned around and spent
$30,000.00 on a windows lab instead...  Oh well- end rant.

As we are still in debt Prince Charles Secondary won't move to windows.  We
offer so much with our system now it would take an army of technicians
months to make the same things happen in windows and that is accordinbg to
my local technician.

Thanks everyone for an awesome system.   Try out FreeNX!

Not only does Windows Live™ OneCare™ provide all-in-one PC care to keep your
computer protected and well-maintained, but it also makes creating backup
files a breeze. Try it today!
http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionid=b2456790-90e6-4d28-9219-5d7207d94d45&mkt=en-ca