[K12OSN] floppy issues on fc5 and k12ltsp

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Nov 9 15:01:00 UTC 2006

Much has changed, and it's a good thing! ;-)  In LTSP 4.2, which K12LTSP 5.x is based
on, the Local Device Access system was completely re-written.  Now, things like USB
sticks 'just work'--you plug them in and an icon appears on the desktop; you unplug
them, and the icon disappears.  Same for CDs (non-music) and floppies.  Are your clients
booting via etherboot floppies by chance?  If so, users will automatically see an floppy
icon on the desktop because there's floppy disk in the drive.  You can turn this off if
you don't want floppy access on the client.  If you're not using etherboot floppies, you
should just be able to put a floppy disk in the client's drive and the icon will appear
on the desktop.  When you're done writing to the floppy, just pop it out and the icon
should disappear.

Petre