[K12OSN] Question for Postfix Experts

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Nov 9 16:46:23 UTC 2006

I currently have a postfix server configured to read local unix accounts for
valid recipients with "local_recipient_maps = unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps".
 Email and file serving currently run on the same box.  Samba, Netatalk, and
Postfix all look at the same local user accounts to determine who is able to
log in.  This server has both Staff and Students on it.  In the past we have
provided file services and email to everyone.  We now want to discontinue
email for students, but still provide file serving.  If at all possible I
would still like to keep everyone on the same box all still using the local
accounts (easy for me to keep track of with only one userbase).

So now the question, is there a way to tell Postfix to look not only at local
user accounts, but to also look at their assigned group?  My thought is then I
could tell postfix that only the "Staff" group is allowed to send or receive
mail and the "Student" group...as far as postfix was concerned...wouldn't
exist.  And since all users would still exist in the local unix database file
sharing would work as always, and I could still get away with managing a
single userbase.

I know this would be easy if I switched to Virtual Users as I have on other
servers, just in this case it would be best I believe if the above idea is an
option.  I did find that there is a "unix:group.byname" option but I have not
found anything that states this directive could be used for the above.

Thanks,

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
507-453-5188