[K12OSN] Schedulling software

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 19:01:36 UTC 2006

On 11/13/06, Petre Scheie <petre at maltzen.net> wrote:
> You might have a look at Zimbra (www.zimbra.com).  It's a whole email/shared
> calendar/groupware package that competes with Exchange, so it might be overkill for what
> you want.  OTOH, it's free, it's linux, and you've got nothing to lose in trying it.  It
> got a nice front-page write-up in the WSJ today.

We've (my employer) been using it for a while, and it works for us.
We've just enabled simple document creation/sharing, so I can't tell
you how well that works.  But if I create an appointment with other
employees, they get an email notice which they can respond to on the
Zimbra email web page, OR with Outlook if that's their preferred email
client.

If you go that route, I'd suggest you dedicate a machine to it, since
Zimbra takes a lot of RAM (and CPU at startup), and it takes over a
number of ports, since it has email and web services built-in. We have
it on a leased server with 512 megs of RAM and a 2.5 GHz Celeron
(P4-type), and it seems to work fine on that system.

Calvin