[K12OSN] Do anyone here REALLY understand LTSP and remote sound?

john lists.john at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 23:40:23 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have been hacking at my sound issue for the better part of 3 days now and
I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

-problem 1: sound only for root and only on the server itself
-problem 2: thin clients don't see ANY sound card (in Gnome) under
Preferences>Sound unless I do chmod -R 777 /dev/dsp and chmod -R 777
/dev/snd and then they ONLY see the servers Sound card after reboot. Sound
has NEVER worked for ANY of the several clients I have tried to use.

Sound seems like a VERY difficult nut to crack. I see lots of requests that
never seem to have resolutions on this list. Is there anyone here who feels
like they REALLY understand whats going on with remote  sound? This isn't a
challenge, just a question, because I feel very much in the dark (and of
course if you say 'YES' I am going to start asking you questions! :-)

Should I take this to the LTSP list or the LTSP IRC channel?

Thanks,

John