[K12OSN] Nancy E. Willard Audio Interview on Internet Safety

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 14:58:42 UTC 2006

http://educationbridges.net/k12opensource/wp-content/uploads/NancyWillard.mp3
http://educationbridges.net/k12opensource/wp-content/uploads/NancyWillard.ogg<http://educationbridges.net/k12opensource/wp-content/uploads/NancyWillard.mp3>

<http://www.education-world.com/a_issues/issues/images/nwillard_130w.jpg>Over
the last several months, I've watched
Nancy's<http://www.csriu.org/about/bio.html>consistent, warning voice
on the educational technology email lists. I'm
sure this is not an easy role--at a time when the read-write web is
challenging educators to find creative ways to take advantage in schools of
technologies that have become so engaging to our youth outside of school ,
Nancy keeps talking about hard topics of safe internet use, filtering,
online predators, disinhibition <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disinhibition>,
and cyberbullying <http://www.cyberbully.org>.

Arranging an interview time with Nancy was difficult--she is the parent of
three children, and working on finishing two books--but we finally caught up
last week. I was particularly interested in her concerns about how online
sexual predation is taught, which she says is often based on the myth that
the youth who go to meet an online predator are unaware of what is actually
going to take place. Nancy is also appropriately harsh on the inappropriate
marketing of sexuality to young women, and she agreed with my concerns (we
both have thirteen-year-old daughters) about how the movies and media have
really promoted aggressive sexuality by young women in the last decade. And
she discusses cyber-bullying, which I hadn't really had any direct
experience with, but which she describes as very real and very serious.

My wife generally has not had a great deal of interest in my interview
series (c'mon, isn't everyone excited about educational technology?), but
she listened to this interview from start to finish. Our thanks to Nancy for
caring.

EdTechLive.com Interview
Series<http://edtechlive.wikispaces.com/Recordings+List>

<http://educationbridges.net/k12opensource/wp-content/uploads/NancyWillard.mp3>Listen