[K12OSN] Opinions on a Forum

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Nov 14 16:37:58 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 21:24 -0800, Dan Young wrote:

> Having said that, the typical geek interaction with mailing lists (e.g.
> filtering on the List-Id header or similar) is _not_ very welcoming or
> obvious to the newcomer. I suppose I could blame the poor mailing list
> support in popular MUAs, but I can't help but wonder how many folks run
> away screaming the first time their INBOXes fill up from joining a
> high-traffic list (imagine (fedora|ubuntu)-users lists for example).
>
> Maybe I'd like to see perhaps pointers to the GMANE interface, as that's
> effectively a BB-type interface to most popular lists. Frankly, I like
> that the conversations on K12OSN don't usually get too "meta" and mostly
> focus on rocking with regard to free software in schools.

My suggestion is: get a free gmail account and subscribe with it.  If
you like their web interface you are all set.  If you don't, configure
it to permit POP access and archive the messages as downloaded via pop.
Then you can add it as an account in your favorite mailer (evolution
or outlook express work great) and delete anything you don't want to
answer immediately.  If you need to recall it or search, pop into the
gmail web interface and use their search which is probably better
than your MUA anyway.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com