[K12OSN] [OT] Ticket tracker

Ben Nickell twinprism at athena.physics.isu.edu
Tue Nov 14 18:41:33 UTC 2006

I would like to install a simple ticket tracking system.  I've follow
the periodic discussions about them here with interest, and decided I'd
try request-tracker  or irm, both of which have been recommended here
and while they may be a bit of overkill, they look like they fit my
needs well.

The problem is, I don't really like to install and maintain them outside
the packaging system, and the debian packages in the Ubuntu LTS universe
repository have old dependencies.  Irm wants to uninstall php5 apache
module and use php4.  Maybe this isn't such a big deal, but looking to
the future since this is a new server.   Request tracker wants apache1,
exim, and a whole page of perl modules.   Neither of these are ideal to
me as this is a multi-use webserver and I'm trying to consolidate
servers so I don't want to limit myself.  Sound like I'm just making it
to hard as usual.

I'm thinking of VMware or I'm open to other alternatives, but the
overriding feature I'm looking for is that it is easy to use, maintain
and upgrade because I'd like to use it for the long term.  Anyone have
something that works for them in such a scenario?

Thanks in advance,
Ben Nickell