[K12OSN] [OT] Ticket tracker

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Nov 14 19:28:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 11:41 -0700, Ben Nickell wrote:
> I would like to install a simple ticket tracking system.  I've follow
> the periodic discussions about them here with interest, and decided I'd
> try request-tracker  or irm, both of which have been recommended here
> and while they may be a bit of overkill, they look like they fit my
> needs well.
>
> The problem is, I don't really like to install and maintain them outside
> the packaging system, and the debian packages in the Ubuntu LTS universe
> repository have old dependencies.  Irm wants to uninstall php5 apache
> module and use php4.  Maybe this isn't such a big deal, but looking to
> the future since this is a new server.   Request tracker wants apache1,
> exim, and a whole page of perl modules.   Neither of these are ideal to
> me as this is a multi-use webserver and I'm trying to consolidate
> servers so I don't want to limit myself.  Sound like I'm just making it
> to hard as usual.

If you run it under fastcgi instead of mod_perl you remove the apache
version dependencies. That probably doesn't help with the ubuntu/debian
package though but the only really hard part is getting all the perl
modules installed.

> I'm thinking of VMware or I'm open to other alternatives, but the
> overriding feature I'm looking for is that it is easy to use, maintain
> and upgrade because I'd like to use it for the long term.  Anyone have
> something that works for them in such a scenario?

I've been hoping someone would build a downloadable vmware appliance.
Meanwhile I'm using a hand-installed version from these instructions:
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?RHEL4InstallGuide
on the EL (centos-based) version of k12ltsp. It runs as a virtual
host with fastcgi and doesn't bother any of the other vhosts or
require a special apache.

If you were going to dedicate a box or run under vmware, I'd probably
go with the RPM-installed mod_perl version here instead:
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?RPMInstall

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com