[K12OSN] dhcpd problems

Alan Hodson ahodson at elp.rr.com
Thu Nov 16 02:40:39 UTC 2006

I should have called this post "How do I recover from a dhcpd failure?"
and hope to build a step by step 'What to check for' wiki help file, or
one called 'how to prevent dhcpd failure' - it's exasperating!

dhcpd was installed, but 'service dhcpd start' would yield 'failed' -
after many attempts at tweaking the greatly changed dhpcd.config file, I
decided to use yumex to remove 'dhcp' and 'dhcp-ltsp-config' and
re-install them via yumex install. The service is now running, and
'chkconfig --level 2345 dhcpd on' took care of starting it, but the thin
clients are still generating a 'no dhcp' error. Tried a cross over cable
to eliminate possible switch malfunctions to no avail. I did not have a
chance to look at the /var/log/messages, but if I did, what info would
help me?

Thanks Petre for all you do to help the group.

cheers
alan
-=o=-