[K12OSN] network control?

Sonny To son.c.to at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 03:48:36 UTC 2006

I'm working on a Java web proxy called Omniproxy that can do what you
need. At first I looked into using squid, but it didn't have the
flexibility that I need.  What I needed was full control of
manipulating Http request and response using a scripting language like
python or ruby.

You could for example write a python or ruby script to examine the
http request for the destination host and if its to yahoo during
school time, send an error message back to the browser. You can also
write a script to manipulate the Http response from the server before
it gets to the web browser.

Find more about http://www.diningphilosophers.net/twiki/bin/view/Main/Omniproxy
Its not well documented yet, but I plan to do that soon.

The web proxy is only one part of the solution. You need to write some
firewall rules to redirect http traffic to the proxy.