[K12OSN] Re: blocking all requests for yahoo and other websites during school time

Sean Harbour sharbour at nwresd.k12.or.us
Mon Nov 20 15:36:11 UTC 2006

 That functionality has been available with squidGuard for at least 6
years. It has very good documentation as well. While it would be a good
tool for K12LTSP as it is relatively well supported with the Squid
proxy, putting it in place for an entire school requires making the
proxy server the only http route out of the network for all clients. You
can then either run the proxy in transparent mode which requires no
client settings, or configure all clients to use your proxy.

I think there are exceptions if you use Cisco routers with WCCP
capability and configure squid to act as a Cisco Cache Engine.

I was not aware that dnsmasq had similar capabilities. Doing this
function at the DNS server would be simpler overall, but it seems to me
that it would have the disadvantage of being easily bypassed by
configuring a client to use an external proxy by IP address, not name,
completely bypassing any local DNS control.

- Sean Harbour